Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two Year Anniversary

We are joined today be guest blogger April Torres. Thanks for sharing your story with us April!
 
 
About April: In January 2009, I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant. A week later my soul mate and the love of my life passed away unexpectedly at 32 years old. I was 29, pregnant and grieving. The darkest, saddest, most miserable days followed. I thought I'd never smile again. But, 2.5 years later, I have a beautiful, healthy son who makes smiling easy. I don't think I will ever be 100% and will never stop missing my love, but I have slowly realized that I can be happy and that life does shift forward, no matter how much you may want it to pause and stand still. 
 
The quickness of time bewilders me. Two years has passed since you were taken away from me. Two years, and yet my heart still wears the imprints from your last touch. Two years, and yet I can still close my eyes and smell you. I can still taste you on my lips. It astonishes me – how well my senses know you. How they remember you so vividly. I still hear your laughter; still see that smile.

Someone asked me a random question the other day without knowing the situation. They asked me how long I had been single. It was a simple question but one I could not answer. I didn’t know how to explain that this question had no simple answer. Should I have provided the technical answer to this simple question and responded with: two years? Or the truth; no matter how complex that answer would be. 

Should I have simply said that I am not? That I am still very much in a relationship. Still very much with someone. That even though it has been two years since I last had physical contact with you or a face to face conversation, that you have been with me, every day. That we have shared conversations, even though they were one-sided. That you have answered random doubts I have had, in some form or another. That you have still been my “date” at many a gathering.
How do I explain that I still wake up to your face smiling down at me? That you are still the first and last thought of each day. So much time has passed and yet, you have never left my side. Or rather, I have never left yours. You are still my sun. How do I explain to someone that even though we’ve been apart physically for two years – we’ve grown closer than the two years + that we were together? 
How do I explain to someone who doesn’t know what it’s like to lose your love, that even though yes, the answer to the question might appear to be: two years, the truth is: I’m still very much in love. That my heart still very much belongs to you. I don’t. I won’t. I can’t.

3 comments:

  1. It is absolutely uncanny how similar our stories are my poor fellow widow. I'm a month behind you (February 2009) in this bewildering double life of loss. I was nine weeks pregnant with our first and only child. I too am still very much in a relationship with the love of my life though I have not touched him in over two years. I feel you April Torres.
    Respectfully,
    Joanne
    www.mamaslittlebandaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post. I am at 21 months and feel the same feelings you to have shared. Unfortunately I don't have children, but my feeling of loss and the love I continue to have for my husband even though he is not here has not changed. It is very painful but I'm still very much in love with my husband. THere has been no change in my heart, he is and always will be the love of my life. I only look forward to the day we are reunited.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautifully written post!

    ReplyDelete