Saturday, September 3, 2011

Proposal


You placed it onto my finger and our eyes met....making the agreement that from that point on our souls would be eternally connected....a searing of two hearts into one...no matter what lay ahead.

6 years ago you asked me the question that taught me that risk was a shorter word for following one's heart. Nothing has been more clear or absolute. Nothing has made me more honored and more proud.

The ring is more than a ring. Our love is more than love. We are more than us.

I cleaned it today with my toothbrush and the cleaner from the jeweler you purchased it at, who still makes an effort to send a card or gift on the day one ring joined the other. I look into it and don't see facets, colors or perfection...I see you.

I'll never know how our souls found each other or why I was lucky enough to be chosen by you...but I will not question the god's too much...as it has and continues to elevate my heart, life and soul to a level only you can push it to.

Yes...yes...yes...

I will....I do...I am....

Happy Engagement Anniversary, my love.

7 comments:

  1. Your post touched me...after 13 months of sorrow, in a limbo state between being married and single, my rings are a puzzle to me. I go for days not wearing them but then their twinkle from my jewelry box beckons me and the love and appreciation for the short 6 years I had with my husband wash over me. Still in my heart and so missing him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful reflection on the meaning and significance of those special memories we all have. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.
    It has been ten months for me. I wear my rings but sometimes it feels not quite right. . . I am widowed, not married.
    But I love them, I love their symbolism. I love that my husband turned them into Platinum in our 35 year as a symbol of our love renewed.
    What do others do about their rings?
    I wonder. . .
    Thank you Taryn for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's my anniversary today also, 29 years. My second one without my love. Tough day. To anon above about rings...from what I've read everyone does it differently and on their own terms. I'm 22 months out, and wore my wedding band all the time up until a couple of months ago. Now I always wear it at home, but take it off when I go out. But I always carry it with me. There's no rhyme or reason to this, it just evolved. I still consider myself spiritually married, and still feel married. I know I carry the label "widow" but I married for eternity, and I don't let society take that away from me. Do and be what feels right to you, for your value system and your marriage. Be true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To one of the Anon posters above: I always feel a little sad when I read a post by a widow who feels "pressured" to take her ring off. There are no rules. Please know that it is okay to leave it on if that's what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Our souls would be eternally connected...a searing of two hearts into one...no matter what lay ahead" . Little did we all know what lay ahead. But I doubt that any of us would change our answer from "I do".

    Whether you wear the ring(s) or not, you will forever have that connection. I, personally, still wear mine; it has been on my finger for 39 years, it is a part of me now, although maybe someday another will take its' place (but I doubt it). The ring is a part of me, just as he was and is always a part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have mixed feelings about my rings...thank you everyone for making me feel a little better. There are people that wonder why I still wear them, and I am 13 months out. My sweetheart had mine designed with two diamonds, symbolizing "me and him". I just don't feel right without it, like I would be doing our love an injustice if I took them off. This is so hard, and I don't really wanna face it anymore.

    ReplyDelete