Friday, May 11, 2012

Taking it All On.


Last Saturday was the 18th Annual Dippel Mardi-Craw.  It's a crawfish boil that Daniel and I started having every year...in 1994.  The last one he participated in was in 2004 - he was just too sick to have one in 2005, and then in 2006 -  he was watching us from Heaven instead of hosting his favorite event.  Three years ago I started having the party on the same day as the Kentucky Derby and I love it.  A great excuse to get a totally silly hat!  The party is always attended by various family and friends, many of whom have come every year since it started.  It's always a good time, and is something I look forward to every year.  I can't do it alone (especially cooking all those mud bugs!!), and since Daniel died, family and friends have helped every year to put on this fiesta.  This year was Carl's second Mardi-Craw, last year he attended and helped cook (and met most of Daniel's family), and this year he was my fabulous co-host.

He's pretty freakin amazing.  I was so happy to see him not just tolerate my crazy tradition, but completely embrace it!  He even thanked me for letting him be a part of it.... are you kidding me?  100 people at our house, several days of preparation, not to mention the cost....and he thanks me?  He rocks.  Thanks Carl Dahlberg for being so awesome and accepting of me and my crazy life.  You're the best!

3 comments:

  1. Hope and a pretty hat and a party!
    A perfect way to start the summer. I think it is all wonderful. The traditions and the new ways to make it happen and the new love.
    Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Mickie. Carl you are wonderful and the Dippel family is so blessed to have you in our lives. We are thankful that Mickie and Grayson have you also...you have brought them so much happiness, and happiness they so deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Carl yet, but I already know that he rocks. :) Will we get to meet him in August?

    ReplyDelete