Saturday, March 16, 2013

Remember

 
You know, they straightened out the Mississippi River in places, to make room for houses and livable acreage. Occasionally the river floods these places. ‘Floods’ is the word they use, but in fact it is not flooding; it is remembering. Remembering where it used to be. All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was. Writers are like that: remembering where we were, that valley we ran through, what the banks were like, the light that was there and the route back to our original place. It is emotional memory.” 

Over 5 years ago I started writing on a blog.

Writing to release. Writing to express. Writing to hold the seams from bursting open. Writing to feel that there was at least some place to place my sanity and insanity. Writing to the person that wasn't here to read it.

I am by no definition a writer. But I am someone who has written to heal. To remember. To recognize just how far I've come in retrospect, and I'd just like to take this Saturday to thank you for allowing me to do so. For allowing me to go back to that original place before the loss...

But more importantly, for allowing me, in some capacity, to not only remember, but to create. To evolve. To let those banks and curves of my soul and eternal love, guide me to where I need to be.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Taryn. For sharing your journey, your wisdom, your hard days and the small and big victories.
    Like the river, we all flow toward our own endings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote, Taryn. It's beautiful.
    And love that you're still here with us.
    You're beautiful.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quote. I can't get enough of metaphors about water... waves, droughts, floods... This is our life.

    And, you are a writer! You write and share and inspire, and we read your words, read you.

    Thank you!

    Halina

    ReplyDelete