Saturday, February 1, 2014

O


 “You never need to apologize
for how you chose to survive.
Clementine von Radics 


I recently came across this quote and found it spot on!

Even nearly 7 years later, I find others questioning my choices (new and old) on how I have not only survived Micheal's death, but chosen to thrive, grow and live afterwards.

It made me realize that although Clementine hit the mark, she forgot a necessary factor.

She forgot to add something that is  important for all survivors to understand.

That life after loss is not made up of the things we "chose" to do, but is completely made up of the things we CHOOSE to do.

That additional "O"  acknowledges that this is a lifetime process. Not some tiny blip in time.

We will continually be questioned. We, at times, may even feel guilty or the need to explain ourselves. Don't.

Let your life be a culmination of things you choose to do for you. Choices that you may have to make over and over for the rest of your life, but ones you know are needed for your unique journey. A journey I'm sure you'll find to one day be a magnificent one.

6 comments:

  1. So perfect - Thank you! I still find myself justifying choices I made to help me survive each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and perfect reflection on that quote. Thanks, Taryn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on this grief journey for 2-1/2 years and I find it harder and harder to deal with people who think I have emotional issues because I still miss my husband 24/7. People who have not lost the love of their lives are clueless and rude when they question how we choose to go forward; how we choose and work to make it through each day without our husbands; how we work to put one foot in front of the other each and every day since the death of our loved one; how we choose to live with the loneliness and pain of loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true. I feel every words you described. I am in the 8th month in my grief journey. People just do not understand and keep saying wrong encouragements that upset me. They think they know more than I do. They are truly "clueless" and sometimes ignorant.

      Delete
  4. Perfect, Taryn. Your words always speak to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you! And this is just one (small one) of the many reasons why. :) xo

    ReplyDelete